Michigan-based heavyweight Robert Simms has set his sights on a rematch against streaking heavyweight Joe Cusumano after Cusumano scored a career-best victory this past Saturday in stopping longtime heavyweight contender Adam Kownacki. Simms bested Cusumano via unanimous decision in 2018 and believes now is the time for a sequel.
“Now is the perfect time to rematch Cusumano and really show everyone what I’m capable of,” said Simms. “I would think he’d want a chance to avenge a loss. I believe I’m a couple bad scorecards away from being undefeated. Cusumano is easy work and I’d definitely jump at the chance to prove that to a worldwide audience.”
Simms (12-3-1, 3 KOs) is also coming off of a career-best victory as he dominated the previously unbeaten James McKenzie Morrison to earn a unanimous decision last October, earning him a WBC U.S. title. The Saginaw native is 5-1-1 since facing Cusumano and has fought professionally since 2015. Simms’ losses have all come by either split or majority decision and to fighters with a combined 38-1-1 record at the time of facing Simms.
“Robert Simms is coming off a big win and has beaten some highly-regarded prospects in the division, including Cusamano on his way up,” said Dmitriy Salita, President of Salita Promotions, Simms’ promoter. “All of his losses easily could have been judged the other way. Robert can really fight and has shown that he can beat bigger opponents. He is a hard worker who perfected his skills in the art of the sweet science.”
TITO MERCADO RETURNS TO BATTLE SATURDAY, JULY 8 IN NICARAGUA!
Los Angeles, CA (June 26, 2023) Boxing’s Top International Prospect, Tito Mercado, (10-0, 10 KOs), will return to battle on Saturday, July 8 against battle-tested, South African veteran Xolisani Ndongeni, (31-2, 18 KOs), in a scheduled ten-round super lightweight clash from Managua, Nicaragua.
The 21-year-old Mercado, fighting out of Pomona, CA, is hitting the ring following a destructive first round knockout of world title challenger Hank Lundy on April 15, 2023 witnessed by a huge crowd in Ontario, CA.
The lauded Mercado, a promotional free agent, has been on a streak of show stopping-knockouts since turning professional two years ago following an acclaimed amateur career. Five of his knockouts have come in the first round.
Said the 5’10” Mercado about the upcoming fight and his schedule, “This is a great opportunity for me to fight in my father’s homeland, Nicaragua. Ndongeni has only lost twice, once by decision to Devin Haney. I’m staying busy but also want to fight the best in the 140lb. division, I’m ready for a top ten fighter at super welterweight right now.”
The 33-year-old Ndongeni faces off against Mercado riding a five-bout winning streak, last seeing action with a seventh-round knockout of Apinun Khongsong on November 17 in Durban, South Africa.
The fight on July 8 will be broadcast on Canal 6 in Nicaragua and can be streamed here.