Luis Alberto “El Venado” Lopez (28-2, 16 KOs) is set to launch the Mexican Independence Day weekend with his second title defense at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT LIVE on ESPN, ESPN Deportes & ESPN+
This Friday at the American Bank Center in Corpus Christi, Texas, Lopez will defend his IBF featherweight division title against the two-time world title contender Joet Gonzalez (26-3, 15 KOs).
In a 10-round junior middleweight secondary highlight, the emerging Puerto Rican star Xander Zayas (16-0, 10 KOs) is up against Mexico’s Roberto Valenzuela Jr. (21-4, 20 KOs). For the six-round lightweight fight broadcasted on ESPN, Emiliano Fernando Vargas (6-0, 5 KOs) competes with Spain’s Alejandro Guardado (5-0, 1 KO).
The fights between Lopez-Gonzalez, Zayas-Valenzuela, and Vargas-Guardado will be shown live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and ESPN+ at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT.
The additional ESPN+ broadcast starting at 6:30 p.m. ET/3:30 p.m. PT showcases Mexican talents Omar Aguilar (25-1, 24 KOs) and Julio Luna (20-1-2, 11 KOs) in a crucial eight-round welterweight fight.
Local Corpus Christi boxer John Rincon (7-0, 2 KOs) squares off against Puerto Rico’s Bryan Ismael Rodriguez Rivera (4-1-1, 2 KOs) in a six-round welterweight contest. Additionally, Jamaine Ortiz (16-1-1, 8 KOs) takes on Antonio Moran (29-5-1, 20 KOs) in his debut fight following his commendable challenge against Vasiliy Lomachenko last year.
Ruben Villa (20-1, 7 KOs), a previous world title contender, aims for his second victory of the year in an eight-round featherweight showdown with Brandon Valdes (15-3, 7 KOs). Also, U.S. Olympian Tiger Johnson (9-0, 5 KOs) is set for his third 2023 fight in an eight-round junior welterweight contest against Ricardo Quiroz (13-2, 7 KOs).
ESPN+ Boxing Weigh-In Results and Lineup
Greetings boxing fans! It’s time to prepare for another thrilling evening of bouts as the official weigh-in results for tonight’s card on ESPN+ are out. Let’s dive straight into the details:
Lopez’s IBF Featherweight World Title (12 Rounds)
- Luis Alberto Lopez steps up with a weight of 125.2 lbs.
- Challenging him for the title, Joet Gonzalez comes in slightly heavier at 126 lbs.
Zayas’ NABO/NABF Junior Middleweight Titles (10 Rounds)
- The defending champion, Xander Zayas, weighs in at 153.7 lbs.
- His contender, Roberto Valenzuela Jr., is just a tad lighter at 153.4 lbs.
Lightweight Contest (6 Rounds)
- Emiliano Fernando Vargas registers 135.8 lbs.
- Opposing him, Alejandro Guardado steps on the scale at 136.3 lbs.
Vacant WBC USA Welterweight Title (8 Rounds)
- Both Omar Aguilar and Julio Luna are evenly matched, weighing in at 146.6 lbs.
Welterweight Contest (6 Rounds)
- John Rincon comes in at 143.4 lbs.
- Standing across him will be Bryan Ismael Rodriguez Rivera, slightly heavier at 143.9 lbs.
Junior Welterweight Contest (10 Rounds)
- Jamaine Ortiz weighs 137.8 lbs.
- Antonio Moran, just a breath lighter, is at 137.5 lbs.
Featherweight Contest (8 Rounds)
- Ruben Villa steps in at 126.7 lbs.
- His opponent, Brandon Valdes, weighs 126.9 lbs.
Junior Welterweight Contest (8 Rounds)
- Tiger Johnson weighs in at 141.7 lbs.
- Not far behind is Ricardo Quiroz, hitting the scales at 141.6 lbs.