Tyler Denny Crowned King of England

It was fourth time lucky for Rowley Regis boxer, Tyler Denny, on Saturday evening as he finally claimed the English middleweight title.

Having lost to Reece Cartwright and Linus Udofia, Denny thought he’d got his hands on the strap at the third attempt back in November but controversy reigned at the Coventry Skydome that night; the scene of Saturday’s rematch.

On that November evening the fight was stopped in the eighth round because of a cut to River Wilson-Bent, which was ruled to have been caused by a clash of heads, whilst replays showed it was caused by a punch. Denny was in full control at the time but the fight was scored a technical draw.

No such controversy was to rob Denny of his title this time around though as he faced Wilson-Bent in his hometown once more. The show was promoted by Boxxer and screened live on Sky Sports.

The BCB trained (Errol Johnson, Paul Mann, Ben Wilkes and Matt Sturgess) trained southpaw flew out of the traps and applied constant pressure throughout the ten rounds.

Denny backed Wilson-Bent onto the ropes time and time again as he negated his opponent’s taller frame and executed the game plan to perfection.

Wilson-Bent was finally deducted a point for persistent holding in the seventh before going on to have a late flurry but it was too little too late.

Terry O’Connor and Kevin Parker scored the fight of the year contender to Denny by 97-93 and 96-93 respectively whilst Steve Gray scored it 96-94 to Wilson-Bent.

“Respect to River, he is a lot tougher than I thought,” Denny said. “I was so confident I was going to get him out of there because I hurt him a lot in the first fight. The way he finished, hats off to him but this is my time now. time; I’ve done it the hard way. I want my break, I’m 31 next week and I’ve got four kids.”

The Heat Is On Fight Report

Words – Dan Mole

A quintet of fights took place in the Second City on Sunday Lunchtime as busy Black Country Boxing outfit, BCB Promotions, hosted an afternoon of professional pugilism.

Bloxwich’s Lewis Morris topped the bill against Shrewsbury’s Luke Merrifield.


Game as ever, Merrifield put Morris through his paces but credit to the Walsall featherweight, he kept his composure and boxed to orders.

Merrifield had his moments but Morris worked through the gears and showed his quality to move to 4-0 with a 39-37 win.

There was an upset in the opening bout of the afternoon as Ben Thomas tore up the script to defeat light heavyweight debutant James Drummond.

Devon’s Drummond was stunned by a disguised left hand from the Bolton man in the opener and Big Ben sensed victory. The away fighter, the heavier man on the scales, pummelled Drummond to the floor with a series of overhand rights and, although he rose to his feet, was in no position to continue.

Fellow light heavyweight Brandon Jones fared better against Bulgaria’s Konstantin Aleksandrov.

The Birmingham boxer went through the gears against the durable Aleksandrov who absorbed plenty but didn’t threaten too much the other way.

After seeing his last bout cut short by an injury to opponent Elvis Dube, Jones will have been pleased to get more rounds under his belt as he moved to 5-0 with a comfortable 40-36 points win.

Worcester’s Ameen Khalid moved to 3-0 as he dispatched of popular Melksham road warrior, Liam Richards.

The lightweight prospect started with a high tempo and caught ‘Rocco’ with an array of shots.

Richards, an experienced campaigner, slowed Khalid down as the contest progressed but continued to get caught as the Worcester warrior to his credit picked his shots with some aplomb to record a 40-36 win.

Hereford’s Liam O’Hare also made it a hat trick of professional victories but didn’t have it all his own way against Black Country boxer, Dwain Grant.

Super welterweight O’Hare, who performed ballet as a youngster, recently went full time in the pro ranks as he looks to put Hereford on the boxing map.

He will have to navigate tricky and tough road warriors like Grant along the way and, to his credit, he did just that.

Although both men landed, it was O’Hare’s shots that carried the sting and he picked up a 40-36 points win.

Images (c) Manjit Narotra/MSN Images